When we started to deploy our second HPE Nimble “Automatic Switchover” pair I decided to change deployment mode for the witness to a docker based deployment because there can only run a single instance per VM and I don´t want to have unnecessary lazy VMs sitting around.
Be aware there is not official support for this! I tested this type of deployment twice and it worked fine for me.
Find the needed files in my Github repository https://github.com/weidi/nimble-witness-docker
Witness binary is updated every once and then so please make sure you are using the right dockerfile and download the right binary for your array version.
- download needed binary via InfoSight.hpe.com
- place it in the same directory as the Dockerfile
- change password in Dockerfile
docker build -t nimble/witnessd .
- make sure you have docker-compose setup
docker-compose up -d to start the container
- if needed adjust the exposed port in the composefile so you can run multiple instances on one machine