I am just finishing the upgrade of a pair of Nimble AF60 All Flash arrays to now run with an SCM Module for even better performance and I wanted to share the installation steps and some first impressions.
Adding SCM is as of now only possible to AF60 and AF80 Systems and requires a minimum software version of 5.2. There is a good post from Stephen that is detailed what´s all about:
The SCM modules are 1,5 TB Intel Optane Cards in a PCIe x4 formfactor so you need at least one free slot in your AF to get things going. Recommendation is also to use Slot 2 for the SCM Module.
Installation process in a rough overview is as following:
- Update to 5.2 if you haven´t done yet
- halt standby controller
- unplug cables from the halted controller and remove it from the chassis
- insert SCM card to the controller
- plug controller and cables back in and wait for it to be booted and shown as standby
- failover active to standby controller, i had to issue “failover –array array_name” on the CLI as the UI mentioned some healthcheck warnings
- wait a little to get things settled down a bit especially when you are running sync-rep
- halt standby controller and go over steps 2-5 again